Monday, May 6, 2013

166 Days and Counting

Summer vacations in my life meant one of three things, yard work, a trip to Washington D.C., and innumerable hours spent in front of the television in the living room. Fast forward about 18 years, past the rest of the lazy summer days and endless hours of heat and humidity, I am now a 24 year old federal employee working and living in Washington D.C. with no yard to call my own and innumerable hours spent in front of a television set.

When you watch as much television as I do, you start to notice the little scripts in life. Things we should and shouldn't do, the sort of unwritten social code that every seems to follow. It's just as scandalous to abandon a life with a stable paying job to live as a street performer as it is to be romantically entangled with an older man in a symbiotic relationship where one party gets financial assistance and the other gets a fine piece of ass. Things rarely experience drastic changes and if they do, the aftermath lasts just long enough to make people wish for the things they once had.

To be honest, I once scoffed at the idea of a quarter life crisis. For one, it assumes that most of us will live to 100 (which isn't as farfetched as it once was) and two, it assumes that for the past 20-something years, we have been wandering listlessly waiting for things to finally shake up. Will things really change as much as people say? Or will it just be another birthday where I won't even remember to correct myself when I tell someone how old I was last year? Perhaps I'll know by day 167.

No comments:

Post a Comment